6.27.2010

The SB Life

Another full week of classes! The older grades, 6-12, have their monthly tests next week, so last week was spent reviewing and answering any questions about tests. It's a little intimidating to have to write these tests, I have no idea if I'm doing it right, but am just going to cross my fingers and hope they do well.

The classes I struggle the most with is my second grade. Those kids are just wired all the time! They are constantly jumping up and down, and get so excited to tell me things, they all start yelling at me at the same time. We're working on reading and writing, so it's fun to see them understand the stories we're reading as well as get better at reading them out loud.

This week we've been struggling with power at the school. At the beginning of the week we had some really bad monsoons, which always knocks the power out for a few hours. Once it dried up, the maintenance crew realized that a power line was down a few miles away, so we were without power for 3 days at the end of the week as well. It's funny how used to it everyone gets. In America when the power goes out, the world stops, but here, the kids are used to studying by candle light, and we are used to cold showers by flashlight.

All of the volunteers left this weekend for various trips around southern India, but I have been to all of the places they went to, so I decided to stay at the school for most of the weekend alone. It was really nice to have some down time and some quiet, even for just a day or two. Hopefully I'll have some better stories, the days just pass quickly here, and I'm loving being in the constant warm climate. I swear it doesn't get any better than this!

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS